- MathCON is a popular math competition for students grades 5-12. MathCON has two rounds:
- The First round of the competition will be held at participating schools and will be administered online between January 16, 2017, until Friday March 3, 2017.
- The Second round is "on site", paper based test in UIC Forum, 725 W Roosevelt Rd, Chicago, on April 22, 2017.
- For only $150, you can register an unlimited number of students from your school.
- Individuals and classroom teams from charter schools, private schools, and public schools are eligible to compete in MathCON.
- Testing window will be OPEN between Monday January 16, 2017, until Friday March 3, 2017 at 6 pm.
- Students can take the online test session with 45 math questions in their own schools with their own teacher supervising them.
- Starting on Monday January 16, 2017, until Friday March 3, 2017, 6:00 pm, MathCON online test will be available at the link below.
- For a paper based test, qualifying students will be invited to the Finals which will be held in UIC Forum, 725 W Roosevelt Rd, Chicago, on April 22, 2017.
- The MathCON online test is timed for a maximum of 45 minutes and is entirely multiple-choice questions with only one correct answer.
- Students are encouraged to take the test in their schools with the supervision of their own teachers.
- At the date of the test, students will have access by clicking on the link above to the test from 8am to 6pm of their time zone.MathCON tests are grade-level specific:
5th grade MathCON Test
6th grade MathCON Test
7th grade MathCON Test
8th grade MathCON Test
9th grade MathCON Test
10th grade MathCON Test
11th grade MathCON Test
12th grade MathCON Test
- Test questions require ingenuity and insight, but little technical knowledge beyond grade level mathematics. The online test includes problems of varying degree of difficulty that enables all students to be equally challenged.
- Maximum score at online testing is 320. There is no penalty for guessing.
- Students are not required to use a calculator. All problems on the MathCON Test can be solved without a calculator.
- Teachers will be provided with the list of username and password for each student they registered.
- Students will be able to log in with their username and passwords and take the only test anytime between January 16, 2017, until Friday March 3, 2017 during 8:00 am and 6:00 pm weekdays.
- The MathCON online tests may be taken in a six-week window of time. This allows our teachers to fit in with even the busiest of schedules.
- Students can take the online test in their own schools with the supervision of their own teachers.
- When the students take the online tests, they are instantly scored and those scores are automatically uploaded to our website. At the end of the online test, all students will be awarded with "MathCON 2016 Participation Certificate" that they can save to their computers and then print.
- Student test scores and ranking within the school will be sent to teachers within one week.
- Qualifying students from each grade levels (Grade 5 through Grade 12) will be invited to the MathCON Finals which will be held in University of Illinois at Chicago on April 22, 2017 for a paper-based test.
Tie breaker for Paper Based Test Ranking
The paper-based test has 50 questions and the maximum weighted score is 300. If there is a tie based on the weighted score of the paper-based test, the student with more correct answers out of 50 questions will be placed first.
If a tie still exists, then the student with better score on the online test will be the winner.
If the two students also have the same score at their online tests, the student who spent less time at the online test is the winner.
- Browser: Google Chrome, FireFox, Internet Explorer, Safari
- Continuous Internet access
- MathCON profile – username and password.
STEP-BY-STEP ONLINE EXAM INSTRUCTIONS
- Go to www.mathcon.org and click the Login link
- The online tests can be taken on iPad directly using the Safari browser, too.
- Log in using your MathCON profile username and password.
- You will arrive at the MathCON Test where you will find 45 multiple choice test questions.
- Proceed with answering the questions by selecting the best answer; the entire test is multiple choices.
- Please provide your students with the username and passwords you signed up for MathCON.
- Attention: In case the online test froze on the students after they started, the student need to close the browser windows and re-open it. When the student closes the browser window, he/she will not lose any answers, because system records the answer of each question when they click Next. When student re-opens the test, the questions that already answered will be marked blue, but the system will randomize the questions every time you open the test, so the questions' locations will be different each time you open the test.
MathCON Finals, Saturday April 22, 2017
10:15 am – 11:30 am Registration/Movie in the auditorium
11:30 am – 11:40 am Moderator announcements in the auditorium
11:40 am – 11:50 am All students report to testing rooms
11:50 am – 12:00 pm Final test proctor instructions
12:00 pm – 13:10 pm Multiple Choice Test: 70 minutes(No calculator allowed)
12:00 pm – 12:40 pm "Step 1: Graduate , Step 2: Take Over The World!" – College Readiness Forum for Parents and Guests moderated by Regina Armour
12:40 pm – 13:00 pm Game 24 for Parents and Teachers
13:10 pm – 14:00 pm Lunch (Pizza and Beverages)
14:00 pm – 15:00 pm In Jest Comedy Variety Show with Nels Ross
15:10 pm – 15:40 pm Game 24
15:40 pm – 16:20 pm AWARDS CEREMONY for MathCON Winners.