MathCON Photo Contest 2015
Warning: Division by zero in /home/mathcon/public_html/wp-content/themes/kallyas/functions.php on line 759
Stemmed from the idea that Mathematics is all around us, part of MATHCON 2015 was a photo contest. Students from all over the U.S. entered the contest, which asked them to open their eyes to the math that is all around and capture a unique and creative shot. We received hundreds of math photos ranging from the Fibonacci and the Golden Ratio to various objects in nature. Then the top ten math photos were voted for by a large group of online participants and the top three were awarded at MATHCON 2015. Mathematics is all around us: Your favorite NBA player’s stats, the technology in your mobile phone, the Fibonacci sequence in nature, the Golden Ratio in architecture,… the list is endless. Look around and send us your math photos until April 8, 2016.
- Qualifying photos will be exhibited at the MathCON 2016 Finals.
- Cash prizes will be awarded to three winners at the MathCON Finals Award Ceremony in Chicago on Saturday, April 23, 2016, at the University of Illinois at Chicago, and the photos will be posted at the MathCON website.
- Students in Kindergarten through 12th grade are eligible to enter the photo contest.
- Students from all types of schools, including home-schooled students, are welcome to enter and they do not have to be registered for MathCON Competition to submit photos.
- Winners do not need to be present to receive the prizes.
1st Place: $300
2nd Place: $200
3rd Place: $100
- All math photos must be original digital photos that can be e-mailed.
- All math photo submissions must be a given a title. (Title will be part of the scoring!) Some examples of titles for 2015 MathCON Photo Contest Finalists are below. Hands Down!, Citrus Segment, Exponential Decay,Over the Line of Reflection, Isosceles on the Water, Kaleidoscopic Dream, Radial Intersection, Odd Duck, Human Triangle, Geometry of Flowers, Nautilus, Hexadecagon, Euclid’s Vent, Funnel Tessellation, Diamond Necklace, Edible Hypotenuse, Tri-Fashionista, Brain Freeze, Powdered Pi
- No more than 2 math photos per students allowed.
- E-mail your photo submissions with your name, grade, school, and hometown to
- The content of the photos must be appropriate for student mathematicians of all ages.
- Math is all around you. Now go capture it!
MathCON 2015 Photo Contest Winners
FIRST PLACE: $300 GIFT CARD Second Grade Students at Anna Ware Jackson School, Plainville, Massachusetts
SECOND PLACE: $200 GIFT CARD Joshua Lim Mary G. Porter Traditional School Woodbridge, Virginia
THIRD PLACE:$100 GIFT CARD Julienne Lim Mary G. Porter Traditional School Woodbridge, Virginia
MathCON Photo Contest 2015 Top 45 Finalists
Titles for 2015 MathCON Photo Contest Finalists:
- Hands Down!
- Citrus Segment
- Exponential Decay
- Over the Line of Reflection
- Isosceles on the Water
- Kaleidoscopic Dream
- Divisible by 3
- Roman Ionic 3
- Diamonds and Circles
- 5 Count
- Multicolored Reflections
- Urban Quadrilaterals
- Cross-section Intersection
- Radial Intersection
- Odd Duck
- Human Triangle
- Geometry of Flowers
- Euclid’s Vent
- Funnel Tessellation
- Diamond Necklace
- Edible Hypotenuse
- Rational Equation
- Brain Freeze
- Powdered Pi
Click for the PICASA Gallery